Great 'fast' long run today. Hanson's plan alternates between a harder effort long run and a shorter, easier effort long run. I've been doing hard/easy alternating but with similar distance.
Today I hammered out 18 miles @ 7:28 mile pace the whole way. Felt fast-aerobic, but I was strong the whole way and actually ran the 2nd half faster than the first half. HR 140-147 the whole way. It never felt easy, but also never felt very hard, although I will admit that miles 17 and 18 were more challenging than I expected - my legs did get tired by then, but I could def still run more if I had to.
Part of today's success was that I ran 7 VERY easy recovery miles yesterday, and also slept in maximally both yesterday and today. I run significantly faster when I get more than 7 hours of sleep, but that's typically very difficult for me to do - I have to actively put myself back to sleep numerous times to get the extra hours.
I'll record my clothing choices and nutrition setup for today for future reference as it worked so well:
Nutrition:
3 gels
Water: 750cc - In retropect, I should have brought 850 or 900cc for 18 miles and 3 gels. (750cc was perfect for 16 mile long runs.)
Clothing - 45-49F overcast no direct sun
Long sleeve compression shirt
Brooks Run Jacket
Compression undershorts
Compression long tights
Raceready shorts on top (to hold gels)
Camelbak
Brooks running hat (no earmuffs)
Thick running gloves (thin may have been better, but worked fine)
Strava Garmin
No comments:
Post a Comment