Thursday, January 12, 2017

TEMPO - 10 miles AM with 8 @ MP (7:11) , PM 7 miles TM @ 7:20/mi

AM TEMPO run - 10 miles AM with 8 miles at MP (7:11/mile)

Solid tempo run this morning.

Miles 2-9 are the tempo miles, avg 7:11/mile
Mile 10 was 0.5mi of tempo as I perked up a bit


This finally felt like a fast aerobic run at the faster end of marathon pace, rather than a half-marathon type effort run. Avg HR per mile was 142-149 with maxHR around 153 on the steepest parts, so a high-aerobic level pushing borderline lactate threshold pace. I actually had gas in the tank at mile 10 and decided to finish it decently strongly.

The only 'bummer' part about this run is how much faster I ran the 6 x 1 mile repeats on Monday, around 6:40/mile pace. Given that those repeats are supposed to be MP-10sec/mile, I'm either overrunning those, and/or under-running my tempo run. I do suspect (hope?) I'm underrunning my tempo run, as I do find that I run significantly faster when I don't do the run at 5AM or earlier as I typically do these tempo runs (I did the intervals during the afernoon when I was well awake), but the HR data looks appropriate for todays' tempo run and is in line with prior runs. I'm not supposed to be maxxing these MP runs anyway - they're supposed to be pace training for race day. I'm hoping my target MP will be a 7:11-7:15/mile, which corresponds to roughly a 3:10 marathon right now, but I still dream of hitting my stretch "A" goal of 3:05 (which corresponds to the calculator estimates based on my 18:57 5k in Nov.)

As a last note, the 7:11 marathon pace corresponds exactly to the 3:08 marathon estimate predicted off my 18:57 Turkey 5k on the 538 marathon prediction calculator based on 70mpw avg. So I think I do have good chances at sub 3:10 if conditions are right. 


PM - 7 miles, with 6 @ 7:20/mi 

Felt surprisingly motivated for my PM treadmill run, and went out ambitiously for no reason whatsoever. Held 7:20/mile for 6 miles, HR mostly 150-151 the entire way which was a bit challenging but the legs held up great, no problems. Last mile at 10:00/mile. Nice to be able to throw down a hard double once in awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment