Thursday, January 5, 2017

Tempo - AM 10 miles with 8 @ MP 7:09, PM 5 miles TM recovery

AM: Tempo, 10 miles total with 8 @ 7:10/mile

Changed up my gear this morning. Decided to go light, ditching the backpack and bikelight/battery in lieu of using my smaller Fenix HL50 350 lumen headlamp, in hopes of seeing my training paces look more inline with what I'm expecting based on my Turkey 5k and my treadmill runs.

I actually wasn't feeling particularly good at the 5AM run start today. I can tell by how draggy the first warmup mile goes - if I'm perky enough to cruise it in sub 9 min pace, I know I'll have a good hammerfest workout and feel powerful the whole way. Today though, was one of those sleepy+leg fatigue mornings where I just couldn't get going, and the 1st mile came in at 9:54/mile even without the backpack, which is def not a good sign. Oh well!

The tempo miles were hard, but not crushingly so. Surprisingly, my legs were the limiter on this one, with my HR living between 150-154 but not going any higher. I think I need some adjustment to running this fast for this long with the ligaments and muscles.


Miles 2-9 tempo


The average pace for those 8 tempo miles worked out to 7:09/mile (3:08 marathon pace). It's pretty much exactly what I want and expected based upon my 5k time, losing the backpack (5lbs or -10sec/mile), and my most recent training paces. Although to tell the truth I was secretly hoping I'd be seeing 7:00/mi, or at least having it not feel as hard as it was. 150HR is very close to first half HM race effort for me!

On the bright side, the elevation changes on this training course are very similar to the rolling hills I'm expecting on race day at Napa, so I'm locking into the pacing for elevation changes.

Garmin Strava]

PM: 5 miles recovery TM 9:22/mile

Easy TM run. No problems, but kept it slow as I was feeling mild fatigue in my achilles and other tendons.





No comments:

Post a Comment