AM - 5 miles treadmill, 10-11min/mile recovery run due to my sore right hip. Skipped the Tue VO2max speed workout.
My sore right hip (tensor fascia lata) is still moderately sore, but at least I can run slow on it today without being goofy (I couldn't run on it at all yesterday.) Fortunately, it's getting better, but I doubt it'll be full strength tomorrow, and questionable for the tempo run on Thursday. I'm going to play it safe since I'm ahead of schedule planwise - I'll just run as slow as I need to keep it improving but not fall off the bandwagon, and trust that I'll come back stronger.
I was dragging pretty badly this morning, and was surprised how much effort I was expending to run 10-11 min miles on the treadmill. Ok, I wasn't working particularly hard, but for sure, there was zero leg oomph that I had last week when I was running low 8 min/miles for recovery purposes.
I wish I could say that I could have predicted and avoided this hip injury, but alas, it's one of those things that I thing you have to roll with. I wouldn't do anything different in retrospect - there were no signs of hip pain at the start of the run, nor during the run. I definitely overloaded myself with the big volume of 79 miles (peak so far), faster overall paces, and bigger Sat-Sun combined volume, but it seems reasonable even in retrospect, and I have found that if you play it too safe by incrementing too slowly, you can miss out on some game-changing improvements that you'd otherwise get. I'm sure I'll have quite a few more of these in the upcoming weeks as I continue to ramp up volume and pace, but hopefully they'll be much less severe given that I don't expect to ramp the volume (or pace) up a ton from here.
PM - 5 miles treadmill, 1 @ 9:00/mi, 4 @ 8:00/mi
Started the run with a mildly sore hip. After warming up in the first mile, it was only mildly sore, but I felt like I could run pretty well, so I picked it up to my easy treadmill run pace. Didn't get any worse than a mild soreness throughout the run, which is good.
Pretty sore again after the run, but I'm optimistic it'll improve even more by tomorrow, as I find that if the recovery runs go well, typically the body catches up.
No comments:
Post a Comment