Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Speed - Noon: 7 mi, with 400-1600-400 ladder TM 5:52/mi

Noon: 7 miles, with 400-1600-400 ladder on treadmill 5:52/mi

Was too tired this morning to do my typical super early AM run, as Eva had some bad coughing last night that woke us all up at midnight and then I had some really broken up sleep following that. As well, I was dragging big time this morning - hopefully I'm not getting her virus, but it's possible.

Didn't have high hopes for the lunch workout, but fortunately, I was able to take a longer lunch break since we were all caught up at work.

Speed/VO2max day today - my first treadmill VO2max workout in quite awhile, so I wasn't sure how it would go. I definitely run about 10-15sec/mile faster on the treadmill than outdoors, as well.

Intervals: 400, 800, 1200, 1600, 1200, 800, 400. Rest interval 400m (9:40/mi)
5:52/mi for the first 6, then 5:49/mi on the last 800, and 5:30/mi (!) on the last 400.

The 1200s & 1600s were hard, but manageably so. My HR went up to 165 on the 1600 but seemed to plateau there once I was up to speed. The legs held up great with zero problems, and even could push the pace on that last 5:30 repeat which wasn't actually that hard since it was over before my HR could get into the 160+ range.

My VO2max hasn't improved a ton in this marathon training compared to the hammerfest triathlon short-run workouts, but it's definitely better than before. My all time prior best was 5:49/mi for a 6 x 800m, and then I was pretty dead afterwards. I was fine after these intervals, and finished the last mile after the intervals at 7:40 pace/HR 142 which actually felt pretty easy now. (I used to be 9+min/mile after these intervals.)

PM: 4 miles treadmill, 8:40-9:20/mi.

Decent run after work, down to 8:40/mi, keeping it recovery but not slacking. Switched to water shoes in the last 0.5mi and was prettyeasy to run 8:40/mi pace. I'm trying to switch up my shoes so I don't stress one area overly, but I'm going to be very cautious with the barefoot-type water shoe running due to Achilles strains.

No comments:

Post a Comment